Compassionate Birth Services, LLC

Because We All Deserve A Good Beginning

The Birth of Jack Henry

Shortly before becoming pregnant,  I was inspired to have a gentle, drug-free birth after watching the documentary, The Business of Being Born.  After researching more on the topic, I learned having the least amount of medical intervention was safest for a low-risk mother and child, and I began to see birth as a right of passage.  I knew it was important to go through the experience of childbirth as women have done for thousands of years. I had faith that my body and my child would know what to do.

So when I became pregnant, I figured it would just come naturally to me. I thought I would "just say no". I thought little about preparing myself mentally or physically for such an event.  As I got farther along, I began to seek out more information.  I was still with my OB-GYN. She seemed to be on board with no medication, but other interventions were going to be hard to avoid.  At our hospital tour the nurses made it very clear to us that there were rules and they were not willing to stray from them. I knew that I would have to choose my battles, and I did not want the birth of my son to be full of stress and compromise on my part. I left discouraged and uncertain.   
A few days later I decided to attend a Le Leche League meeting for information and guidance on breastfeeding.  I was also hoping to network with women who had similar beliefs in childbirth.  One of the mothers recommended taking natural childbirth classes.  I made an appointment with a local instructor the next day, since I was already in my sixth month of pregnancy.  My husband and I immediately knew that these classes would give us the tools we needed.  At our second class I expressed my concerns about being in a hospital and my desire to have a water birth.  My teacher told us about Holy Family Birth Center in Weslaco, Texas.  We went directly over there to check it out. It was perfect fit of us.  The next day I left my doctor and transferred my care to the midwives at the birth center.  

Jack Henry Kennedy was born on Saturday, April 3, 2010 at 1:07 p.m.. He was 8 pounds 6 ounces, 20 1/2 inches long, and six days past his estimated due date. My labor went very smoothly. It lasted fourteen hours, starting at 11:00 p.m. the night before.  In early labor my contraction were forty-five minutes apart, so I slept through the first few hours.  When they sped up to every thirty minutes I woke my husband to tell him this was it.  He comforted me through the rest of the morning from 2:00 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.  It was around 9:00 a.m. when I had a contraction that lasted almost nine minutes!  After that, my contractions went from eight minutes apart to three minutes apart.  My husband and I decided it was finally time to go to the birth center.  
After the not so comfortable car ride, we arrived and my midwife asked to do a vaginal exam.  I was six centimeters dilated!  We made our way to the birthing bunlagow and once I was able to get into the birthing-tub and float in the water I went into deep relaxation.  So much so that I slept in-between one of my contractions.  My husband was in the tub behind me and talked me through each rush.  It took me less than an hour to dilate to ten centimeters and I was finally ready to push.  I pushed for about forty-five minutes; it only felt like five to me.  The next thing I knew Jack was in my arms.  The umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck, but I knew not to worry.  When I heard him cry it was stunningly beautiful.  After having our moments in the tub, my husband took him so that I could move to the bed and deliver his placenta.  

Once my midwife delivered the placenta, my husband joined me in bed with Jack in his arms.  I had my little family snuggled close for the first time.  I would give anything to live that moment again. As we laid starring at our precious son, I was overwhelmed with emotion.  I had never felt so empowered in my life.  I accomplished my goal of giving birth in a gentle and compassionate way.  I did not have any medication. I did not have unnecessary interventions. My body and baby birthed on our own terms and own time. Four hours later we bundled up our son and went home.  I was the most fortunate person in the world that day.